Benefits of Proper Stretching
Unless you’re a Yogi, your stretching routine is most likely minimal, at best. The focus in most sports and workouts is cardio and strength building, and this is great until you become so tight that your range of motion decreases. Medicinenet.com defines range of motion as “the full movement potential of a joint, usually its range of flexion and extension.” Overly tight muscles can make it hard to move joints properly, therefore increasing the risk of injury and/or muscle instability.
When done properly, stretching can have a multitude of benefits. Most people think that stretching is only for athletes, but this is not the case. Everyone can reap the benefits of a proper daily stretching routine. Whether you need more flexible muscles, less joint pain, better circulation, or relief from stress, stretching can help.
- Increased Flexibility: Having flexible muscles can help you move more easily through regular daily activities. This increase in flexibility automatically gives better range of motion in your joints.
- Enhanced Coordination: When your muscles are more flexible, and your joints have a better range of motion, then your body can balance easier. This is important to everyone but is especially important as you get older. Keeping muscles and joints moving properly will help keep you mobile and reduce the likelihood of injury from falls.
- Enhanced Athletic Performance: With better body mechanics through flexible muscles and normal range of motion, the coordination and balance that your body achieves improves your agility in sports. Your normal workout routines also become more productive because you are getting a better range of motion on each exercise.
- Better Circulation: Proper stretching can improve the circulation in your body by increasing the blood flow to the muscles. This helps your body recover faster because the increase in circulation allows nourishment to be carried to the muscle tissue. It also helps to get rid of waste byproducts in the system.
- Stress Relief: Stretching is a key way to reduce stress. We often carry a lot of tension in our muscles from daily stresses in our lives. Stretching, when done in combination with proper breathing, can calm the mind and reduce unwanted tightness in the body not due to a workout.
When our muscles move better, we move better. When we move better, we are less likely to have unwanted injuries. Stretching takes your fitness to a whole new level and taking the time to stretch your body daily can benefit you for years to come.
Do you want to become stronger, build muscle tone, and become more flexible. Would you like to have more energy and lower levels of stress? Take action today!