Life SKILLZ – Self-Discipline
Parents and teachers both overwhelmingly agree that self-discipline is one of the most important skills anyone can have, yet relatively few believe they’ve been successful at helping their own children demonstrate it. However, it goes without saying that children can and will learn self-discipline.
Here is a guideline regarding children and self-discipline based on age:
• With children ages 3 and 4; they are in an emotional stage of their life. Help them foster positive emotions towards self-discipline by using consistent, positive reinforcement.
• With children ages 5 and 6; they are starting to understand right from wrong. Teach them how to make good choices over bad ones.
• With children ages 7 and 9; they understand that there are consequences to negative behavior. Teach them how to have self-discipline without being told or reminded.
• With children ages 10 and up; they are very clear-cut and well-balanced on how self-discipline affects their life. Teach them how to be reasonable with their actions based on self-discipline.
When children are exposed to an environment that nurtures this very skill they grow. In our classes students learn why self-discipline is good for their everyday life. They’ll also learn how to develop self-discipline skills in a fun and entertaining way.
You can help by reinforcing self-discipline at home. If you lead by example your child will follow. Below are some tips on how to compliment the lessons we teach about self-discipline this month:
• Remember that self-discipline and discipline go hand in hand. When disciplining your child keep in mind that discipline and punishment are not the same. Discipline is about guiding children in ways that support their development on self-control.
• Catch your child showing self-discipline at home and praise them for their efforts.
• Give your child opportunities to apply self-discipline by giving them some new age-appropriate responsibilities.
• Demonstrate self-discipline yourself. Make sure they see you cleaning your room, making your bed, treating others with respect, etc.
To learn more about our child development program that utilizes dynamic martial arts and cutting-edge brain training as the vehicle for maximum growth or to get your child started click the button below.
Suwanee, GA 30024